I think Memorial Day may just be a U.S. holiday. This year it falls on Monday, May 30th. In addition to commemorating those who have died while in service to our country, we also think of it as the start of summer. We celebrate the more superficial part of the holiday by doing the following:
- Put out the flag in the morning.
- Drag out the grill…gotta clean that bad boy off as it has been a few months.
- Grilling some sort of meat products (ribs, steak, burgers, hot dogs, sausages, chicken, etc.) and possibly some sort of veg (corn, zucchini, peppers, etc.).
- Soda and Beer must be served, I’m going with Dr. Pepper with a Corona chaser (don’t forget the lime, very important).
- Add friends and family and enjoy.
- Bring Old Glory back in before sunset.
I think that is pretty much the model of most people’s Memorial Day. If you walk outside by evening you can smell all the meat cooking. It smells so good!!!