My Dearest Friends,
Last week was a very unkind week. It was one I hope not to repeat. It made me feel sad, dejected and quite tired as it progressed and thus very few posts. I am hoping this week will improve, but I wonder. In fact I ended the week with many questions running through my head. All the questions, which are still unanswered, have me quite worried, not just for me, but for the future of all of us.
Even though I ended the week badly, I am trying to start the new week better. An experience is only a complete disaster if you do not take a lesson from it. After assessing all that went wrong, I felt a bit bleak. I wanted to remind myself of some positive thoughts. I started to think of what my relationship with education was and what it may evolve into. I came to the conclusion that with regard to education, I believe in a few critical ideas:
- That each person learns in their own way. But each way is no less valid, just as long as the concept to be learned is not lost. (Reminding myself to take a deep breath and have patience and practice acceptance)
- As long as the individual wants to learn they can be taught, it may just take more effort and more time. But as long as they want to learn and they don’t quit, it will happen. Isn’t this true for everything.
- Children are the same no matter what. Think of all those kids who get new toys on Christmas, only to play with the box. Little kids love games and stickers. They really are sweet little lights, you just have to treat them like that.
- Children are curious by nature, they want to learn, they want to please, and they want to be rewarded. I think that’s all part of human nature.
- Memorizing is not the same as understanding. Once you understand a concept, it is yours to use however you like. From your understanding comes creativity.
I personally operate all my teaching, training and mentoring in this way (be they a child or adult). I try not to criticize, and if I need to point something out I focus not on the person, but rather the thing that needs to be fixed. We all make mistakes, but it’s what we do after that is the most telling.
So right now I am gathering my thoughts and preparing my heart for another week. Actually the kids and I are getting into a groove. I think sometimes it’s the adults that get in the way of education. I trying not to impede their learning, and giving it my best effort to help facilitate their learning.
It’s a bit of a sigh sort of post, isn’t it? I hope I won’t have many posts that heave a sigh in the future.
Thank you for reading,